Magicdev in RH7 causing disk access every second

Title: Magicdev in RH7 causing disk access every second

Hi,

I'm new to the linux world (having used unix 10 years ago), and have just tracked down the daemon magicdev, which is accessing my hard disk every second, is this meant to do this every second?  If not could anyone tell me how to get it working properly as this is the only minor annoyance I have with linux so far.

Marcus