Re: Future Idea (waywayway future)

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Jason Whittle wrote:

> >What you are saying is already possible. For example many of the
> >'xscreensaver' items can be used on your root background, instead of as a
> >screensaver.
>
> How does one set this up? I have all these extra cycles lying arond, and I don't know what to do with them.

Not sure really...

Try looking at the 'xsetroot' application...Basically you can have any
application you want running as your background I believe (so you can
have a borderless, maximimized animated GIF viewer if you want)...

I've never had a desire for this so I've never tried it or looked into it
(note; most (if not all) of the xscreensaver "hacks" have the ability to
run on the 'root' window if you give them the '-root' option)

Regards,
Ali