Re: Helix updater dies on dowload of first package

Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:

Did you try different download sites.

Not until you suggested it, no difference.

Well, try downloading using an FTP site rather
than an HTTP site.  That worked for me.

My understanding is that helix-update is recognized
as being a inadequate solution for Helixcode's update
process.  I recall seeing a message that said a whole
new update program is being developed that will include
the ability to check your machine for required files.
This supposedly will check whether files are installed
on the machine from a source build rather than a
RPM package.  This would be helpful, since quite a
few Gnome users compile some pieces of Gnome but
install the rest from RPM files.

Regarding the segfaults, there seems to be a lot of
complexity involved in debugging helix-update, since
a bunch of people have been reporting segfault problems
for several months and yet the problems persist.
It makes me wonder whether the bug-buddy is able to
capture sufficient debugging information from the
stack traces.

Good luck,

	Miles

Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:

Hi all, Has any one had this problem? where the updater works fine
untill it starts to download then dies?

I use RedHat 7, I downloaded the whole rpm setup from the helix site for
rh7 and installed by hand so this is the first time I have tried the
updater on rh7.