Re: Locking down the User Interface [tangent]

..
> Yes, I found that very bad when moving user dirs. It forces you to
> have the homes always in the same place. Config should use $UID,
> $USER, $HOME and other vars, so it becomes portable (from machine to
> machine and changes inside the same machine). Also it disallows the
> easy use of a template for new users.

I've been thinking, particularly with eazel having networked disk space,
it would be very cool if one could store their gnome preferences online and then,
when they log onto a new computer somewhere, they could have the option of
downloading their existing gnome configurations. That would, I think, allow for
much of what MS's .net thing is about. There are many gnome machines that I use
and it would be nice if, at least for starters, I could have each have the same
settings. This would be particularly cool for kiosks and the like--things that
you may only use once.

--Ben

(One thing to consider, though is that I don't want exactly the same settings on
every computer I use... Some have different resolutions, etc.)