Re: gtk-config and gnome-config relocation

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000 jgotts linuxsavvy com wrote:

> >I propose that gtk-config and gnome-config be moved from *-libs-devel to
> >*-libs.  These files are small, unobtrusive, and come in very handy in a
> >non-development capacity.  For example:  I'm writing a gtk/gnome
> >application that I will be distributing in both binary and source
> >packages.  The binary package will be installed from a GUI installer
> >app.  If these scripts are on the target system then I have a definite way
> >of determining where the icons, executables, etc. belong in order to mesh
> >with gnome.  However, without these scripts it's guess work.
>
> It sounds to me like you are doing a "build," albeit with binaries.  The whole
> purpose of development RPM's isn't to reduce the size of nondevelopment RPM's,
> it's to turn development on or off.  After all, disk space is cheap.

I don't understand.  I'm not doing a "build".  I'm installing binaries
with a home-brewed installer app, like (gulp) Install Shield.  It creates
gnome menu items and other frilly stuff.  I need to know where the user
hides his/her `gnome-config --datadir` in order to accomplish this.

Matthew