Help with shaped widgets

Hi,

I am trying to shape a canvas, animator or a drawing area widget to fit inside a graphical border I am working on for a game project. My problem is:

I load XBM data into a GtkBitmap and then use gtk_widget_shape_combine_mask() to mask the widget shape but it seems to mask the reverse of what I want. I have two bitmaps, on is for the center and the other is for the frame. I have tried to use one or the other to mask the widget but one allows the graphics to appear but the area I want to exist in the app is not clickable. If I use the bitmap, just the opposite happens. The graphical border is blotted out but the area I want to use is clickable.

My question is: Am I missing something? And, if I am, how can I get the desired result? And, which kind of widget should I use for a 2D ISOMETRIC playing area? Canvas? Animator? GtkDrawingArea? or a combination of two or more of them?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Adam Watson