gnome with multiple displays

I'm still trying to find out how to have the panel running on more than
one managed display.

I can start a second instance of panel on localhost:0.1, but it duplicates
the panel objects that are running on panels on localhost:0.0. Also, if I
try to access the properties for any of the panel objects on localhost:0.1
the panel applet segfaults.

I have seen nothing that indicates that the panel app knows how to manage
panels on more than one local display. So I am asking if said feature can
be added in to gnome.