RE: gnome-core 1.2.3.1 "Dignitude" released

> To: "'Padraig O'Briain'" <Padraig Obriain ireland sun com>,
gnome-list gnome org, jacob helixcode com
> Subject: RE: gnome-core 1.2.3.1 "Dignitude" released
>
> My problem here is the misleading dialog box in the gnome-login-check,
> instructing you to get the original libICE or else. It doesn't actually fix
> anything or work around any bugs, it just asks you to stuff yourself.
> What it COULD do is to point you to the location of the patch in Solaris
> that fixes the problem, or just shut up  and not show any dialog boxes, just
> document the bug in release notes.

I suppose I was commenting on the dialog box.

> The other thing is that I see nothing wrong with having workarounds in the
> code. There is no such thing as bug free OS (yes, even Solaris, I know it
> hurts your pride Padraig :), we have to deal with it and not just refuse to
> work because we can't be bothered to be gentle in some places.

I am only too well aware that there is no such thing as a bug-free OS but it
people report bugs to us we do try to fix them in a timely manner.

I can understand people trying to work around bugs as reporting bugs and
tracking when a patch will be available can be demoralizing. In an ideal world
getting the bugs fixed is better than working around them and although I have
lived long enough to realize that the world is not ideal I cling to the hope
that we can make things better.