Re: How do you quit gnome?

bbigby rochester rr com (2000-11-04 at 0539.40 -0500):
> Clearer: Linux has 6 run-levels; It uses 3 and 5 for multiuser
> configurations.  3 is multiuser without X, although you can use 'startx'
> to start X manually after you login.  Run-level 5 automatically starts
> X, giving you the graphical login window and starting X when you login.
> The other run-levels are for doing such things as changing to
> single-user mode, rebooting, halting the system, etc.

There are some things wrong, first there are 8 documented levels, 0 to
6 plus S, plus 3 on demand (no change of real level, just a trick in
inittab), and 3 non documented but valid ones, 7 to 9 (never used in
traditional Unix, but valid). This comes from reading inittab and init
manpages.

Second, ask any Debian user, their run levels are different, from what
I remember. RH does what you say, and IIRC the Linux Standard Base
recommends that (RH does not have to adapt, Debian does... but in
other things Debian follows LSB and RH does not, so please no distro
wars... I think no distro is LSB compliant... specially cos LSB is
still in development ;] ).

> However, Linux also provides 7 virtual consoles, (F1 - F7).  You can
> switch between each virtual console with one of the following commands:
>
> CTRL-ALT-F1
> CTRL-ALT-F2
> CTRL-ALT-F7

Linux nothing. It is RH who does that, and in the default config. I
have consoles 11 and 12 in use. And I can change to any of the
consoles Linux allows with "chvt number". Linux just does not allow
change to avoid using resources due a bad keystroke, you have first to
request in some way the use of a virtual console.

> When RedHat runs X, it installs X on F7.  It is also possible to run

It does that cos is the first avaliable virtual console. If you change
the first six, it moves. Try removing some gettys from inittab, or
adding. Or as Bastille Linux (a script to enhance RH and MDK security)
proposes add logs to consoles 7 and 8.

> multiple X sessions simultaneously on the other virtual consoles.

That is true... and pretty fun. Ideal for games, tests or when you
want to have a locked X somewhere and leave the system to another
user. :]

> However, I haven't yet personally figured out how to do this one
> reliably.  I tried running multiple GNOME sessions from run-level 3 and
> it seemed to work at first, but when I logged out of one of them, the
> other session died.

GNOME seem to be a bit nit pick when you use the same user for two
simultaneous sessions. Try with different users. You can also launch
multi screen GDM (in RH is ran in level 5), adding lines to the config
(but again, different users).

> Anyway, if you start in run-level 5 (run X automatically), you have 6
> virtual consoles left: (F1 - F6).  If you start in run-level 3, you have
> 7 (F1-F7).

You do not, 7 is empty and unreachable until you give the proper order
(chvt) or launch something that outputs there. And as I say above, you
have a lot more than 7, with chvt and keycombos you can reach 24. With
chvt alone I went to console 63, and tried upper numbers but failed
with "Device not configured". IMO you mix virtual consoles with login
systems (text or GUI). When you realize virtual consoles are a diffent
thing... the fun can start: logs, secure top, periodic fortune cookie,
quake server console (unsecure, btw), whatever.

I just did not want to give all the complex explanation. It was late,
and some people do not care at all. :]

GSR