Re: How do you quit gnome?

akessaris hotmail com (2000-11-03 at 2041.01 -0500):
> I am trying to recompile my XFree86 so as to provide direct rendering on my
> video card, and i want to quit gnome.. (ie.. get a text prompt, no windows,
> nothing)
> I'm running red hat 7.0, and any help is appreciated.

Hit Ctrl + Alt + F1, a text login appears. Log in as root, and give
the command "telinit 3", and it goes into level 3, that in RH is
multiuser without X. Compile, install or whatever you need, the
"telinit 5" and it goes to multiuser with X.

RH is normally set to have 6 text consoles (F1 - F6), and using 3 & 5
for multiuser modes, with X as difference (no - yes). If you want to
make changes permanent, read "man inittab", specially the section
about default level.

GSR