Re: Using gdm to launch KDE2

Landy Roman wrote:

> > After wrestling, crying and installing the KDE2.0 src files, I've found
> > I've no way to launch my work...does anyone know how I configure gdm to
> > launch KDE2 (which is located in my /usr/local/kde2.0  direcotry)
> > Thanks.
> >

> > Darryl
> >
> i have the same problem
>
> --
> Rolando Roman
> SuSe 6.4 Linux virtuoso 2.2.16 #1 Sun Jul 9 17:51:02 GMT 2000 i586 unknown

Yes. It might be a solution which is nicer but here are mine: Go to
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions. There are a few files which handles the sessions you
can select in gdm in the upper left. Create a new file in that directory
(etc/X11/gdm/Sessions). You can copy one which is already there. And then
rename it to what yoy want  (KDE2 for instance). Then open that file with
some editor of choice. Edit the line "exec [whatever command]".  Write:
exec  /usr/bin/startkde (or the command you have  in your path
(/usr/local/kde2.0). Then save.  Start x and select KDE2 in sessions in gdm.

Enjoy.  Pär.