upgrade loses icons - this question never answered?

Hello,

   I just upgraded my Turbolinux 6 system to Helix Gnome
1.2.3, and all my default icons (e.g., the panel icons)
seem to have disappeared. Certainly many png files were installed
in /usr/share/pixmaps from the gnome-core rpm file I used, but
these do not seem to be found by gnome when I log in.

  I tried to be good and did a search of the mailing list
archives for this question. It appears that people have run
into a similar situation a number of times, but the question
never seems to be answered. Would someone please be kind enough
to explain (or point to a referenc) how gnome can be told where
to find its icons? Many thanks.

- Phil Cummins