Re: Problems using remote X in Gnome 1.2

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 02:28:33PM -0400, Jacob Berkman wrote:
> Sean Murphy <murphy@erim-int.com> writes:
>
> > What does work:  we have a NCD X terminal, that when booted shows all
> > the machines in our company that are willing to manage an xdmcp
> > session.  The machine I want to use shows up in this display, so I
> > connect to it and again get the gdm screen.  I'm able to type in my
> > login and password and it takes me to the Welcome to Gnome splash
> > screen, the icons start parading across but stop at the Starting:
> > magicdev point.  Normally the next icon to load would be the Sawfish
> > window manager one, but that never occurs, when using this X terminal
> > machine.  One other thing that looks different is that the flowers that
> > are in the "Welcome to Gnome" screen look like they are at a lower color
> > depth than if I use Exceed from my PC or sit at the actual Linux box.
> > Could this be the problem - that Sawfish is trying to too many color for
> > the X terminal that I am trying to login from?
>
> Can you log into only an xterm or something, and try running
> gnome-session from there?

We get this from helix debs of gnome-session. It complains about a missing
XFree86 extension (thats what gnome-errors shows).

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar |    Email: yakk(a)yakk.net |    Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Area: +61 (8) | Home: 9389 9152 | Fax/Voice: 9260 2903 | Work: 9384 4700