panel's root directory futzed

Hi,
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to explain this, but a while
back I had a problem where the gnome panel crashed while I was changing
the background image, and I manually launched it from a terminal
window.  The trouble is, I launched it from the ~/.gnome/panel.d/default
directory, so now whenever I bring up a terminal or save dialog, its
"root" is this directory instead of my home directory.  This is rather
annoying, and when I try to kill the panel and restart it from a
different directory, it respawns by itself from the same old
place.  Quitting and restarting X doesn't help, and I can't find
anything in a config file that would enable me to specify the starting
location.

I am running October Gnome under Redhat 6.0.  If anyone has any hints
that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Eric

--
Mountain Dew and doughnuts...
because breakfast is the most important meal of the day.