Re: Relational Database front end, or Investment Tracking Application?

Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> I've been trying out the commertially available investment tracking
> applications for a while now, and have never been satisfied with them.  I
> think that I've got all of the information gathered for designing an
> investment tracking application that doesn't suck.  We just did a quick
> implementation of this using MS Access, and found a couple of design flaws,
> which we expected.  From our time in Access, it's not going to be sufficient
> for what we need to do, and since we're not at all windows bound, I'm
> looking for some suggestions.  What I need to have is some way to talk to a
> relational database for the backend, some way of entering data into the
> database, and some good way of getting that data back out.  Generically,
> Access looked like it would suit our needs, but it's a real pain to work
> with, and doesn't have the features that the database guy has become
> acustomed to working on the DB2 mainframe at the office.  Does anybody have
> suggestions on where I should look for these components?  Specifically, is
> there a competitor to MS Access that I can grab that's a part of GNOME, or
> at very least, Free as in Freedom?  If not, is there a good set of modules
> for accessing a relation database that I can use to build an application?
> Thanks,
>         Greg
Hi Greg!

You can use gnome-db (http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-db). It's got
an API for developing applications as well as some UI applications (and
UI libraries for development also). It's still in development, but it's
quite easy to develop applications based on it, specially since it's not
bound to any relational database, and as I said, it offers a library of
database-related widgets which work really well. Right now, ODBC,
PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle are supported. LDAP, Interbase and Sybase
are in development.

Cheers