gmailwatch applet

hello, I'm trying to install gmailwatch applet and I keep getting this error
when trying to compile

root@jdls:/home/jhou/gmailwatch-1.1# make install
install -c mailwatch_applet `gnome-config --bindir gnome`/mailwatch_applet
/bin/sh: gnome-config: command not found
install -c mailwatch_applet.desktop `gnome-config --datadir
gnome`/applets/Network/mailwatch_applet.desktop
/bin/sh: gnome-config: command not found
install: cannot create regular file
`/applets/Network/mailwatch_applet.desktop': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1
I think its trying to look for gnome-config but I can't find it.

Any help would be appreciated.