Slow gnome

I am new to Linux and using RH 6, yesterday while trying to solve a
printing problem I was browsing in linuxconfig, suddenly my computer
rebooted (I really had done nothing to cause it to reboot) and  came  to
the login page as usual.  I logged in as "root"  but then the problem
began, the Gnome splash screen stayed on for about 3 times longer than
usual ,it took a bit longer for enlightenment to finish loading, and it
took Gnome what seemed an enormous amount of time to come up (maybe 4
min).  Now this always happens unless I do a control+alt+backspace and
restart login,  then it goes as fast as usual.  Once up Gnome seems to
work as fast as usual.  Other users don't have this problem only "root".

Any suggestions?
Michael