Re: Problems compiling gnome 1.2

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 06:31:28PM -0400, Sean Murphy wrote:
> *** Currently running October Gnome on RedHat 6.1 system ***
>
> Seeing that Gnome 1.2 has been released as a stable product, I was
> attempting to download and install it.  First off, I noticed that the
> Gnome web site only is offering tarballs now, and that any binary
> distributions need to be downloaded from Helix Gnome (please correct me
> if I'm wrong here - I couldn't find any 1.2 rpm's on Gnome's FTP site).
> I decided instead to download the sources and compile my own rpm's.
> However, I seem to be getting errors on a lot of the sources - I'm
> compiling in alphabetical order and I'm up to the glade package and so
> far haven't been able to compile ORBit, dia, gdk-pixbuf, and gdm, due to
> various errors (which I'd be happy to provide if asked).

GNOME does not, in general, provide binary packages.  The GNOME
Project provides sources.  Helix has taken it upon themselves to
provide binary packages of the latest stuff, and so if you want binary
packages, use Helix.

You will have little luck compiling in alphabetical order.  As the
release message says, you should read www.gnome.org/start/installing/
to learn how to correctly build from source.

> So now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and use the Helix
> gnome installer.  Before I do that, I have a couple of questions about
> it.
> 1) do I need to uninstall the October Gnome rpm's first, or will the
> Helix installer see, recognize, and replace/update them?
> 2) will the Helix installer update me to the Gnome 1.2 STABLE release,
> or does it update to development versions of packages?  I want to run
> stable software, not bleeding edge development versions on this
> machine!  I noticed the go-gnome script says this is a preview release
> of Helix GNOME, so that is what has me confused on the stable/devel
> level.
> 3)  Is this the way that future Gnome releases are going to be done -
> that Gnome's ftp site will only carry sources and that binary version
> will come from Helix?

Please read the FAQ at www.helixcode.com/desktop/faq.php3 -- your
questions are answered there, and if they are not, you will better be
able to phrase and ask the correct questions after reading this page.

Here are the short answers if you are impatient:

1) no
2) yes
3) probably

--
Ian Peters  | GnuPG Key ID 5C23D20C    | Those who know what's best
itp@gnu.org | E584 2558 FAC3 BEAB EFAC | for us must rise and save