Re: Problems compiling gnome 1.2

Sean Murphy <murphy@erim-int.com> writes:

> Seeing that Gnome 1.2 has been released as a stable product, I was
> attempting to download and install it.  First off, I noticed that the
> Gnome web site only is offering tarballs now, and that any binary
> distributions need to be downloaded from Helix Gnome (please correct me
> if I'm wrong here - I couldn't find any 1.2 rpm's on Gnome's FTP
> site).

That's correct. gnome.org will only be providing tarballs (unless
someone other than Helix wants to volunteer to maintain packages).

> I decided instead to download the sources and compile my own rpm's.
> However, I seem to be getting errors on a lot of the sources - I'm
> compiling in alphabetical order and I'm up to the glade package and so
> far haven't been able to compile ORBit, dia, gdk-pixbuf, and gdm, due to
> various errors (which I'd be happy to provide if asked).

Almost certainly these errors are due to missing dependencies or
whatever rather than bugs.

> So now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and use the Helix
> gnome installer.  Before I do that, I have a couple of questions about
> it.

Note that you can use the Helix RPMs without having to use the magic
installer thingy.

> 1) do I need to uninstall the October Gnome rpm's first, or will the
> Helix installer see, recognize, and replace/update them?

It will replace them.

> 2) will the Helix installer update me to the Gnome 1.2 STABLE release,
> or does it update to development versions of packages?  I want to run
> stable software, not bleeding edge development versions on this
> machine!  I noticed the go-gnome script says this is a preview release
> of Helix GNOME, so that is what has me confused on the stable/devel
> level.

It's the stable release, except that the Sawmill window manager isn't
a stable release. However you can use a different window manager if
you like.

> 3)  Is this the way that future Gnome releases are going to be done -
> that Gnome's ftp site will only carry sources and that binary version
> will come from Helix?

Yes, unless someone else wants to make packages (but it seems fairly
pointless to do so). RHAD Labs used to make them, and we're more than
happy to let Helix do it now. ;-)

Havoc