Having a little trouble with new Gnome 1.2

I finally got the helix updater to work and allow me to upgrade to the
new Gnome 1.2 stuff, but I seem to be having a few issues with the new
Gnome.

First, my panel and default desktop icons were still the Gnome 1.0
version.  Root and another user on this machine both got the new panel
icons and new desktop icons once I completed the update.  I sort of got
around this for myself by moving all the folders in my home directory
that fit ".gnome*" to a different directory, and letting Gnome recreate
those folders for me.  Should I have had to do this?

Second, I don't have the new menubar at the top of my screen.  This is
the one that looks strangely like the MacOS menu bar, with a helix icon,
and Programs, Favorites, Settings, and Desktop menus.  Again, root and
the other user have these show up.  Unfortunately, I don't know what
runs this so I can't start it on my own.