off-topic question:

I've noticed that XFree86 4.0 is out but not yet supported by RedHat in any
particular way.  I have noticed the existence of RPMs for XFree86 4.0 on
redhat's "rawhide" set of RPMs.  I have downloaded them and attempted to
upgrade my X installation and it might come to no surprise to a few out
there that this did not work and trashed my X installation.  I was hoping
for good results but I didn't fully expect them.

My question is, is there anyone out there (here) who has successfully
installed and is using XFree86 4.0 and are using it in conjunction with
Gnome?  If so, then did you use RPMs for install or did you get the stuff
from XFree86.org?

I'm hopeful that someone out there can make a constructive suggestion or
guide me through something you've already succeeded at.

Thanks.