Re: Problem Installing gIDE

On 17-May-00 Richard wrote:
> Lauris Kaplinski wrote:
>
>> As you have already libglade installed, you should use:
>> rpm -U your-new-libglade-package-name
>
> Still comes up with.....
>
>>>The message that came back was " file
>> > /opt/gnome/lib/libglade-gnome.so.0 from install of libglade of
>> > libglade 0.7-1 conflicts with file from package libglad-0.11-52".

        What the heck is libglad? Run 'rpm -q --whatrequires libglad'
to find out what uses it. If other packages are listed, then they
require something in this RPM in order to work properly. If nothing
depends on it, you can probably remove it. Assuming that you didn't
spell the package name wrong, it's plausible that this is a slightly
different version of libglade, in which case the 'rpm -U' would still
fail.

        If something else requires "libglad", then you may be able
to force rpm to overwrite the libglade-gnome.so file by using the
"--force" command line parameter. If that screws something up,
just re-install the libglad-0.11-52 package. Or, you may want to
make a copy of the current libglade-gnome.so.0, then run
'rpm -U --force' to install the new libglade package.

        Before attempting all this, you may want to run "man rpm"
and read.

>> SUSE uses different GNOME installation directory layout from default.
>> Try:
>> ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome
>
> Says.......
>
> configure: error:  Did not find libGlade installed.

        Getting the libglade RPM installed should fix this (I hope).

> Perhaps I should run round in circles a bit quicker ??   :-)

        Hey, it works for me, especially since people tend to leave me
alone when I do it. If that doesn't work, try a little foam around
your mouth ...

Date: 19-May-00  Time: 16:14:04

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon Advanced Technology
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor