Re: Filemaker - compatible Gnome database app?

Ciaoweb wrote:

> Hi,
>         another app request... under Windows, I have a very important
> database written in FileMaker 4, and since I am trying hard to port as
> much of my work as possible under Linux, I am looking for a database
> under it... possibly, of course, Gnome! :)
>         is there an easy to use database app out there? I don't think I
> need all the possibilities offered by PostgreSQL & C., I just look for
> something simpler... that, in my dreams, can read FM4 archives, but this
> ain't fundamental, after all... I could just export my DB into some
> format managed by that app... just need an hint on the app itself! :)
>         Thanx,

You've got gnome-db (http://www.gnome.org/gnome-db/), which DOES NOT
support FileMaker files (but supports PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, ODBC,
and (in development) interbase and LDAP), but we're working on defining
a XML format to be able to export/import data between different RDBMS.
So as soon as this is done (very soon), you can export your FileMaker
database to XML and then import it to your desired database. Or even
better, you can write a FileMaker backend for gnome-db if you know how
to do it, and thus you can use your existing database.

And for developing your app which connects to the database, gnome-db
contains several libraries (including a widget library) with hundreds of
functions to make it easier.

Cheers