Gnome & pthread

Hi all,
I've got a problem with Gnome and pthread.
I'm currently developing an email program (yes, yet another one..).

Now I want a seperate thread to download the emails from the server.
In main() I call g_thread_init and gdk_threads_enter.

Then after the mails are downloaded in that seperate thread
I call gnome_app_message to show how many Messages have
been downloaded - but all I get is an empty message box (not even
a button is in it) and a crashed email program.

I hope that this is the correct mailing list and that you can help me.

TIA, Christian Biesinger