help please, mime types

3rd attempt, (if this ends up on the list 3 times, i am sorry, my first
two posts
from last night never showed up, so I guessing it did not make it).

Can anyone help or direct me to help. The problem is getting mime types
working on gnome desktop and gmc, etc. Mime types and associated
application work just fine as root, but as any other user on the system,

they do not work at all (click on a .xpm or .html and it run the
processor
for a sec, and then does nothing). Also, using "open with" and selecting
the
app that way, does not work either What needs to be done to get this to
work for non-root users. If this is not the right list please tell me
where I could try. Thanks a lot.
-jeremy

--
my address is http://63.224.20.204 come and visit.