Re: mysterious disk access every 5 or 10 seconds

I think magicdev is one problem (maybe not THE
problem).  After killing this process, the situation
improves significantly. The hard disk LED does not
flash so frequently.

Is there a way to make magicdev interrupt-based
instead of polling-based?  Why does it need to read
hard disk every 5 seconds?  It mounts CD-ROM, not HDD,
right? I could not find the source code.  Does anybody
know wheret to get the source code? I would like to
see whether I can do anything about it.

Also, I did not find a good way to kill magicdev
(other than "kill").  I did "grep -r magicdev *" in
/etc and the only file was
/etc/CORBA/servers/magicdev.goad.  This doesn't seem
to be the right place to configure or disable
magicdev.

Thanks!