Re: mysterious disk access every 5 or 10 seconds

"Yung-Hsiang Lu <luyung@yahoo.com>" wrote:

> I did not run netscape; therefore, it should be
> something else.  Is there a way to find out the
> answer, instead of just guessing?

Open up 'top -d 0.1' in a term window (the "-d 0.1" sets the delay
between the refreshes to 0.2 s, much faster than the usual 1 s).
Then, try to correlate the hard disk activity with an increase in
CPU activity of a process (other than 'top' obviously).  If you
cannot make a correlation, then it is probably the 'kupdate' kernel
disk update daemon, as another poster has suggested.

Sourav Mandal

Sourav K. Mandal

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Physics
http://web.mit.edu/smandal/www/

"In enforcing a truth we need severity rather than
efflorescence of language. We must be simple,
precise, terse."

                      -- Edgar Allan Poe,
                        "The Poetic Principle"