Re: gdm and gdmchooser

Disclaimer: I am not a X expert, all I know is based in tests.

>How do I activate gdmchooser in any way!?

Check HonorIndirect and related settings.

>I can't find any good documentation on this. On the screenshots I've seen
>an "options" button on gdmlogin, I can't even figure out how to get that
>one. Could this be my problem?

I doubt, Options, IIRC, are for things like languaje or session style (I am
away from my GDM machines now).

>I can do remote logins with the box running gdm as server, but I want to
>be able to do remote logins FROM that box. It answers broadcasts jst as it
>should, so logging in from a Sun with CDE is no problems.

Then you do not need to run GDM in that machine. Or if you do, you need GDM
without X plus X alone (weird phrase).

>Any clues for me?

You should run X with -query (direct) or -indirect (what I think you want)
in that machine, named Foo. GDM serves local and remote sessions, so apps
will run in the machine it is run at. To get sessions in another machine
named Bar, the machine Foo must run X asking Bar for the service.

<ad ;] >
Have you tried my real life example doc?
http://coyote.asoc.euitt.upm.es/~gsromero/gnome/tutorial/gdm-at-acd/
I have to upgrade it, for example adding the URL of the doc that explains in
detail how X works when using direct and indirect methods, but is a start.
</ad>

With X you can set up it so each machine runs X (direct or indirect) and
also each machine can serve logins. But you will have to launch the gdm
without X (remove the line that launch X, normally the last one) and the X
alone in direct / indirect mode.

It sounds doable, I hope you get the idea. I got it, I just need to test
with two machines (with one, indirect does the same than query, maybe cos
there is no multiple replies to the broadcast so GDM saves a step not using
gdmchooser; and broadcast does the same as query, of course). And I also
need to explain it better. I accept donations for another machine (laptop,
if possible). ;]

GSR