Re: rp 3

""Ken Whitcomb" <whitcomb@allegan.net>" wrote:

> I recently loaded red hat 6.1 on to my partitioned hard drive. I run =
> gnome with systemx and things appear to work well.  I would like to =
> connect to the net and used rp3 to configure butam unable to connect.  =
> Modem does not "click" when the connection is being attempted.  Also =
> just go a message saying "rp3 configuration (process 685) seg fault".

Modem functionality is far from being automagic in Linux, mostly
because manufacturers  haven't written nifty installation scripts
like they have for Windows.  Some quick checks:

*  It's a "real" modem, as a Winmodem, right?  This is true in all
likelihood since the Red Hat hardware config utilities detected it,
but might be worth checking for sure.

*  Read the Serial, Modem, and PPP HOWTOs, either at a standard
website (http://www.linuxdoc.org) or in your distribution (stored in
"/usr/doc/HOWTO" if you installed the corresponding RPM).

*  If the modem is plug'n'play, you will have to use a utility
called 'isapnp' to set its IO properties.  The config file has a bit
of a learning curve, but is pretty nice to use after that.

*  If you have to debug, remember that the 'setserial' utility tells
you how your serial driver is set, which may not be how your modem
is set.

I kind of figured out my modem stuff by poking and prodding, and so
I may not be all that helpful.  Perhaps others on the list could
direct you to a germane mailing list of website.

Regards,

Sourav Mandal

Sourav K. Mandal

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Physics
http://web.mit.edu/smandal/www/

"In enforcing a truth we need severity rather than
efflorescence of language. We must be simple,
precise, terse."

                      -- Edgar Allan Poe,
                        "The Poetic Principle"