Re: How do YOU check for new mail in GNOME?

"Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 2, 2000 6:44 PM +0100, Paul Barnfather
> <plb@clanger9.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> +-----
> | The problem is that the GNOME "mailcheckers" - specifically Mail Check
> | Applet - only seem to check the IMAP "Inbox" rather than multiple
> | IMAP folders.
> +--->8
>
> A trait that GNOME mailcheckers share with every other IMAP-capable GUI *ix
> mailchecker I've looked at.
>
> My workaround was to write a little dingus in Perl/Tk which checks INBOX +
> subscribed mailboxes.  A better way would be nice (and there should be a
> way to check only a subset of subscribed mailboxes, or things could get
> ugly for GNOME users here at CMU).

Wading through the IMAP documentation, it seems RFC 2177 describes an
interesting mechanism where the server notifies a listening client as soon
as mail is delivered. This would be much neater than polling, if I
understood it right.

--
|  plb@clanger9.demon.co.uk  paul.barnfather@northern-electric.co.uk |