Re: RPMs and src

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Billie H. Cleek wrote:

> I'm in the process of changing all my RPM packages to src distros.

Why?  Presumably to staying on the lightly blooded edge (as opposed to
bleeding edge of CVS).  I would recommend using

	rpm -ta tarball.tar.gz

Works on most Gnome tarballs.  This has the advantage of keeping your RPM
database up-to-date, making switching back to RPMs at some later point
trivial.  If you're actually doing development, you'll probably want to be
using CVS instead.

> However, I'm unsure of what tarballs correspond to the gnome-core-devel
> and contol-center-devel packages. Any help would be appreciated.

gnome-core and control-center.  -devel packages are only applicable in the
world of binary packages where the header files are not necessarily
included with the package.

Paul