problem making gtk+-1.2.7

I just had a failure to make gtk+-1.2.7:
Making all in gtk
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local1/bin/build/gtk+-1.2.7/gtk'
cd . \
&& perl defs gtk.h gtkaccelgroup.h gtkaccellabel.h gtkadjustment.h gtkalignment.h gtkarg.h gtkarrow.h gtkaspectframe.h gtkbin.h gtkbindings.h gtkbbox.h gtkbox.h gtkbutton.h gtkcalendar.h gtkcheckbutton.h gtkcheckmenuitem.h gtkclist.h gtkcolorsel.h gtkcombo.h gtkcompat.h gtkcontainer.h gtkctree.h gtkcurve.h gtkdata.h gtkdebug.h gtkdialog.h gtkdnd.h gtkdrawingarea.h gtkeditable.h gtkentry.h gtkenums.h gtkeventbox.h gtkfeatures.h gtkfilesel.h gtkfixed.h gtkfontsel.h gtkframe.h gtkgamma.h gtkgc.h gtkhandlebox.h gtkhbbox.h gtkhbox.h gtkhpaned.h gtkhruler.h gtkhscale.h gtkhscrollbar.h gtkhseparator.h gtkimage.h gtkinputdialog.h gtkinvisible.h gtkitem.h gtkitemfactory.h gtklabel.h gtklayout.h gtklist.h gtklistitem.h gtkmain.h gtkmenu.h gtkmenubar.h gtkmenufactory.h gtkmenuitem.h gtkmenushell.h gtkmisc.h gtknotebook.h gtkobject.h gtkoptionmenu.h gtkpacker.h gtkpaned.h gtkpixmap.h gtkplug.h gtkpreview.h gtkprivate.h gtkprogress.h gtkprogressbar.h gtkradiobutton.h gtkradiom!
enuitem.h gtkrange.h gtkrc.h gtkruler.h gtkscale.h gtkscrollbar.h gtkscrolledwindow.h gtkselection.h gtkseparator.h gtksignal.h gtksocket.h gtkspinbutton.h gtkstyle.h gtkstatusbar.h gtktable.h gtktearoffmenuitem.h gtktext.h gtkthemes.h gtktipsquery.h gtktogglebutton.h gtktoolbar.h gtktooltips.h gtktree.h gtktreeitem.h gtktypeutils.h gtkvbbox.h gtkvbox.h gtkviewport.h gtkvpaned.h gtkvruler.h gtkvscale.h gtkvscrollbar.h gtkvseparator.h gtkwidget.h gtkwindow.h ../gdk/gdktypes.h ../gdk/gdkrgb.h > xgen-gdef \
&& cat gtk-boxed.defs >> xgen-gdef \
&& (cmp -s xgen-gdef gtk.defs || cp xgen-gdef gtk.defs) \
&& rm -f xgen-gdef \
&& echo timestamp > stamp-gtk.defs
cd . \
&& gawk -f maketypes.awk gtk.defs macros > xgen-gtbh \
&& (cmp -s xgen-gtbh gtktypebuiltins.h || cp xgen-gtbh gtktypebuiltins.h) \
&& rm -f xgen-gtbh \
&& echo timestamp > stamp-gtktypebuiltins.h
awk: syntax error near line 36
awk: bailing out near line 36
make[2]: *** [stamp-gtktypebuiltins.h] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local1/bin/build/gtk+-1.2.7/gtk'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local1/bin/build/gtk+-1.2.7'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

System: Solaris 7, SunOS 5.7 Generic sun4m sparc

I previously build 1.0.54 with out any problems on this

Moments before this failure I successfully built glib-1.2.7.

I am not sure of the version of gawk, but it was build
last June.

I did notice something that I think is a different
problem with the configure for gtk+-1.2.7. I noticed
   checking for perl5... no
   checking for perl... perl
which concerns me as my perl is version 5.005_03

-Robert Lopez