Putting CVS builds in a test dir.

Can someone tell me how to get this to work? I'm running RH6.1 with Gnome and
I'm trying to build the current code in CVS into a separate directory than
/usr/lib so that I don't get the two versions mixed up. Right now I have
bonobo installed in /usr/local/developmental. I'm trying to compile libglade
but get the error,

Unknown library `bonobo'
no
*** Could not run BONOBO test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for
the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means BONOBO was incorrectly
installed
*** or that you have moved BONOBO since it was installed. In the latter case,
you
*** may want to edit the gnome-config script: /usr/bin/gnome-config

I've tried setting LD_RUN_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
/usr/local/developmental/lib which doesn't work. I suppose I could edit
/etc/ld.so.conf but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Also what's the difference between Gnome, Helix Gnome and Nautilus. (Helix
Gnome is Gnome 2.0 and Nautilus is the new shell?)

Thanks,
Anthony