how to stop Gnome from reloading apps?

Hi,
    I really don't like the feature of Gnome that makes it restart programs
that weren't shut down before last logoff, at startup... sometimes, some
apps (like gturing and netscape) doesn't unload well when I close them, so
the next time I bring Gnome up I found them on the desktop... and I have to
shut them down manually. Since I don't care to restart applications
everytime, is there any way to make Gnome to abandon this behaviour? or a
file, maybe, in which it stores a list of the programs to restart, that can
be deleted safely?
    Thanx,
        Mano :)