hanging system

Sometimes I get a real hard hang. One that I can't figure out a way out
of.

Sometimes the CTRL ALT Fx does not work at all. Heretofore when this bad
of a hang job has happened, I have had to do a HARDWARE SHUTDOWN which
of course I don't want to do. I would rather get into a console and do a
reboot. Is there anything other than a HARD shutoff that I can do at
that point?

Is this the fault of Gnome, Enlightenment or X?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, I have logged out and the login screen won't come up. What I do
then is to get into a virtual console (when i can), login as root. do an
init 3 and
then an init 5 and then the login screen comes up. Any other way of
doing this?

Does anyone else have this problem too?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Jerry