desktop properties

Hey there,
I am trying to add shortcuts to the desktop and start menu and had a 2
questions.
1)  How do I associate an Icon and program with a desktop link using the
command line? (This question assumes I am logged in as root I added a file
to /root/.gnome-desktop/  and it appeared on the desktop but I didn't see
how to change the properties like the icon etc.).
2)  Is there a way to add items to the start menu in a place other than
AnotherLevel Menu or is this where programs shortcuts are intended to go?

TIA
George