Re: Helix RPMs a bit "large"

Andres Rodriguez wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've noticed that Helix Code packages are much bigger than normal RPMs
> (e.g. gnome-core almost double). What are the significant differences that
> justify this size increment?

I noticed the same thing. I found they are compiled with debugging
symbols in there, so if things crash you can actually get a good
backtrace.

If you don't want to bother with that, you can retrieve some disk space
by stripping the binaries.  I found no efficient way to do that, but if
you do
ls -la /usr/bin

you can guess which bigger ones are helix and do
strip filename

you can do same in /usr/lib for libs like libgnome....

I have asked in the rpm list if there is an rpm install-strip option,
but got no answers yet.

--
Paul E. Johnson        			email: pauljohn@ukans.edu
Dept. of Political Science     		http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn