Re: gnome-wm

Here is what I have as a script.  This is on FreeBSD, but shell scripts
work anywhere.  I looked and it appears to do a decent job of avoiding
absolute path issues, but you may want to make sure your X Windows bin
directory is in your path when this is run.  It probably already is.

#!/bin/sh

# The user can specify his prefered WM by setting the WINDOW_MANAGER
# environment variable.
#
# If this is not set, we search a list of known windowmanagers and use
# the first one that is found in the users's PATH
#

if [ -z "$WINDOW_MANAGER" ] ; then
  for wm in enlightenment icewm wmaker fvwm2 fvwm twm ; do
    check=`which $wm`
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
      WINDOW_MANAGER=$check
      break
    fi
  done
fi

# If no window manager can be found, we default to xterm

if [ -z "$WINDOW_MANAGER" ] ; then
  echo "WARNING: No window manger can be found."
  WINDOW_MANAGER=xterm
fi

# Store the selected WM so the wm-properties-capplet can find it

if [ ! -d $HOME/.gnome ] ; then
  mkdir $HOME/.gnome
  chmod 700 $HOME/.gnome
fi

rm -f $HOME/.gnome/default.wm
cat > $HOME/.gnome/default.wm <<EOF
[Default]
WM=$WINDOW_MANAGER
EOF

exec $WINDOW_MANAGER $*

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

fortune:
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."