Re: [Re: gtkhtml]

On 29 Jun 2000 17:13:25 -0400, Ettore Perazzoli said:

>    I am	sorry, I cannot  find these emails.   Either you were
using a
>  different name, or my mail archive is broken, or I cannot use Gnus.

I have always used countzero@cyberdeck.org or stevek@voila.net (if I am
at work)

>    Anyway, my  position on  this is: I  personally don't want  to spend
>  time making a GTK+-only GtkHTML because I don't think it's worthwhile.
>  But if you submit patches and they don't break, they can go in.

I would have done this in the first place, but I was lead to believe by
the attitude in #gnome shown by Miguel and others that this would not be
the response.  Interesting how it takes a fork to get your attention.

I will consider your offer, because as I have stated before, my only goal
is to have a good Gtk HTML widget that doesn't depend on GNOME.  If we
can combine resources to produce this.. Great!	I am all for that.

>    You did the patch anyway, so it would have been no more work for you
>  to submit it into GtkHTML rather than forking.

I agree... but I was lead to believe that such a patch would be ignored.

>      Steven> I do not believe that any effort would be made to make
>      Steven> sure that future additions to GtkHTML would continue to
>      Steven> work without GNOME dependancies (so the patch would be
>      Steven> short lived at best)
>
>    This	does not  make much  sense to  me.  Now  you have  to
maintain
>  CscHTML  anyway,  don't  you?	You  could  help  maintaining
GtkHTML
>  instead.

Again, since my emails to you had been ignored, and the people I talked
to in #gnome where against the idea, I assumed my help wasn't wanted.

>      Steven> I think that such a patch would cause confusion amongst
>      Steven> end users.
>
>    We can have a separate GNOME-aware library in the gtkhtml package.

This is the ideal situation.  GtkHTML the widget (no GNOME) and
GNOME-HTML the wrapper for GtkHTML that adds all the GNOME stuff...  (or
something along those lines)

>      Steven> Having  been informed  that fixing	rendering  issues
with
>      Steven> GtkHTML	was  no longer	a	priority  (since  it is
"good
>      Steven> enough" to view e-mail for Evolution) I knew that the only
>      Steven> way to get these things fixed would be to do them myself.
>
>    I don't get it.  If you  commit rendering fixes to GtkHTML, they are
>  certainly going in.	And of course we are fixing the rendering bugs we
>  are aware of.

Again, this was not the reception I got in #gnome... maybe the people who
hang in there just have a bad attitude, but they definately didn't make
me feal like my contributions to GtkHTML where wanted, and since I never
recieved a responce from you regarding my e-mails, I figured you where of
like mind...

>      Steven> Hence: A fork
>
>    Hence:  a complete  waste of	time and  resources.  And  yet
another
>  pointless flame war.

Aye, the flame war is definately pointless (nor was my intention...)  The
fork is a waste of time if you are truely willing to accept a GtkHTML
that compiles without GNOME.

>  --
>  Ettore

-Steve
Steve Kordik					      stevek@voila.net
System Administrator				      Tel 212.332.5045
VOILA - France Telecom North America		      Fax 212.332.2362
1270 Avenue of the Americas			New York, NY 10020 USA
Customized Search Engines for your web site at: http://voilasearch.com