Problems with gnome-print and fonts and gnumeric

Hi

I have wierd probelms with fonts and I wonder if anybody on the list
could help me. I have very straightforward Redhat 6.2 + helix-gnome with
all the latest upgrades. I noticed the problem when I tried to start
Gnumeric and it wouldn't start complaining that it couldn't find a
suitable font "Your fontmap file does not have a valid entry for
Helvetica"

So I found that my /usr/share/fonts/fontmap was empty, except for the
lines

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<fontmap>
metrics="/usr/lib/groff/font/devps/generate/symbolsl.afm"
glyphs="/usr/lib/groff/font/devps/symbolsl.pfa" name="Symbol-Slanted"
fullname="Symbol" familyname="Symbol" weight="Medium" version="0.1"/>
</fontmap>

I figured the solution would be to run gnome-font-install program to
create the fontmap file, because I have all the font packages required
(I think)

XFree86-75dpi-fonts-3.3.6-20
ghostscript-fonts-5.50-1
urw-fonts-2.0-4
tetex-fonts-1.0.6-11
XFree86-100dpi-fonts-3.3.6-20
freetype-1.3.1-5
freetype-utils-1.3.1-5
freetype-devel-1.3.1-5

But gnome-font-install just gave the following

/usr/share/fonts/fontmap

** WARNING **: Warning: the Times font was not found. Printing is
unlikely
to work unless basic fonts are installed. Please see:

I also tried to use the -a and -p options to point it to suitable
directories but always with the same result.

Any ideas?
Markus