Desktop icons disappear when switching WMs

Hi all,

I am running Helix Gnome 1.2 on an updated Redhat 6.0
with IceWM and Sawfish.
When switching from sawfish to icewm, my desktop icons
disappear. The funny thing is that I can't see them or
anything but if I switch back, they reappear temporarily
while the WM is loading. If I am quick enough to select
one during that time, it will stay on the desktop even
though all the others are no longer visible.
This doesn't seem to be related to IceWM in particular,
since it happens both ways.
Also if I choose "save session now", logout and login
back, my icons reappear. But if I do "save session later"
and save the session on logout, they are lost.
Another interesting point is that nothing is removed from
.gnome-desktop but for some reason, "Rescan desktop devices"
is unable to find anything.
Has anybody experienced anything similar ? Or am I
hallucinating ;-)

Cheers,
 Fabrice
--
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
	-- Mark Twain