RE: What windows manager to use ?

Here's some helpful data to help you decide.

The two most popular for use with gnome are enlightment
and sawfish as you mentioned. There also the only two I have
used enough to comment on.

Enlightment was designed for X not gnome and alot of features
are duplicated in both (backgrond pic for example) this is
can lead to confusion as your never sure which setting will
work and which will be overridden. Also Enlightenment is slower

Sawfish works best with gnome. no feature overlap and it is
configured throught the gnome control center.

However there are many differences to the look and feel that
may make you prefer one to the other. I suggest you use
sawfish first and if your happy stop.