grip 2.94 not playing CDs anymore

Is anyone else having problems with grip not being able to
play CDs yet being able to rip without any problems?

I've got grip 2.94 installed and it refuses to play any CDs.
I've got all the latest helix Gnome stuff installed so the rpm
I used is grip-2.94-0_helix_1

When I run 'grip -v' I get the following output:

   Checking for a new disc
   CDStat said no disc
   Checking for a new disc
   audio status is 21
   audio status is 21
   CDStat found a disc, checking tracks
   We have a valid disc!
   audio status is 21
   audio status is 21
   audio status is 21
   audio status is 21
   audio status is 21
   audio status is 21
   audio status is 21
   audio status is 21
   audio status is 21
   audio status is 21
   audio status is 61
   audio status is 246
   audio status is 21
   audio status is 21
   <repeats until I quit grip>

Does anyone know what these status codes mean?  The 61 and 246
were returned when I clicked on the play button.  Besides
returning these codes, all it did was to try to play each
track.  The track would hilite for a second, spit out status 21
and then move on to the next one.  This happens with multiple CDs
and it doesn't matter if grip is installed suid or not.

BTW, I've also compiled my own grip and I get the same problem.
gtcd does not have any difficulties playing discs in the same
drive.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

--Juan