Re: How does one pronounce GNU/Gnome/etc ?

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 04:37:34PM -0400 or thereabouts, Robert Soros wrote:

> I'm having trouble with this one.. For example someone mentioned a
> possible replacement for that buzzword compliant gnome slogan "Computing
> made easy" would be something like "Gnome: A GNU labor of Love"...
>
> Thats all fine and dandy if you pronounce GNU as 'new' ... but I've heard
> Miguel in an interview speak 'Gnome' as "GAH-Nohme"... Where does the
> "GAH" come from? And does it apply to "GNU" (GAH-New-ee??)...

Actually, this is in the proto-FAQ on the very first page.

I posted about it earlier. Various people submitted additions,
which are mostly in CVS (corrections, Slackware resources, RH's
mailing list, how to build docs which involve GNOME stylesheets,
etc). I shall put the HTML version of the new improved version up
real soon now. But probably after tea. Or tomorrow. Or some time.

http://www.linux.org.uk/~telsa/GDP/gnome-faq/index.html

Further additions welcome. One thing not yet in CVS: I have a "why all
those ports are open" answer already. I have half a "how to turn them off"
answer too. :)

For those who missed the "announcement": the proto-faq isn't particularly
official: it's just my abuse of my CVS account to get it into GNOME CVS
so that when it's decent (read: not necessarily perfect, but not about to
destroy someone's system) it can go onto the GNOME site. The current
location is simply somewhere reasonably fast that I have access to.

Oh yes: the answer is that no-one is going to shoot you however you
pronounce it, unless you pronounce it as "win-dows" or something,
but it's generally pronounced guh-nome by analogy with guh-nu, the
GNU project which is the G in GNOME. There are already numerous puns
to do with GNU and "New": the Brave GNU World column written by
Georg Griev, for example, or "Linux, the choice of a GNU generation"
tshirts.

Telsa