Re: I hate the slogan "computing made easy"

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 12:42:45PM +0000, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On 06/21/00 12:30:23 -0500 Cory Watson <gphat@cafes.net> wrote:
> +-----
> | >/tmp/dtdbcache_192.168.0.143:0: No such file or directory
> | Well, what does that first line here mean?  I've never seen it before, it
> | is the problem?
> +--->8
>
> Without more information all it says is "something went wrong with CDE
> initialization".

Why not trouble-shoot by running gnome-session from an xterm?

Most of the login programs are based on xdm, from memory this trick works
on Solaris. Just press F1 rather than enter after typing your password, and
it'll give you an xterm. Otherwise, create a .xsession file in your home
directory containing "exec /path/to/xterm". (Obviously, replace that with
the real path.)

Once you have an xterm, run "gnome-session". If it works, your problem
probably isn't directly with Gnome. If it doesn't work, have a look at the
".gnome-errors" file.

--
Grahame Bowland - http://gbowland.ucc.asn.au