GNOME on slow machines

I'll admit that this is an exceptional machine, but it seems that it might
be better handled.  I installed RedHat 6.2 SPARC on my SPARC station 2, and
fired up X11/GNOME.  On starting, it asked me several times whether or not I
wanted to kill the panel and/or gmc, because it thought that they were "not
responding".  I told it to "cancel", and after a couple of tries, these
programs did finish starting enough that the message went away.  It seems to
me that there should be some way for GNOME to tell whether a program is
still waiting on processor time, or whether it's actually crashed.  This
machine is running a 7200RPM SCSI disk, and has 64MB of ram, so processor is
the slow point.  Later,
	Greg

| Windows NT has detected that there were no errors |
| for the past 10 minutes. The system will now try  |
| to restart or crash. Click the OK button to       |
| continue.                                         |
(sigline nicked from Jayan M on comp.os.linux.misc)