Re: Odd behavior in gmc -- it displays files on the wrong computer

Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> writes:

> I'm using the Gnome setup that comes with RedHat 6.2 -- Gnome gmc
> 4.5.42.
>
> I have a gnome session running on the machine at my desk, but I do
> most of my work on a remote system.  On that remote system, I'm
> running Emacs, and naturally I have told Emacs to use the X server on
> my local machine.
>
> I wanted to use gmc to browse files on the remote machine, so in an
> Emacs shell I typed `gmc &'.  Sure enough, a Gnome File Viewer window
> appeared.  However, the files that were visible in the window were the
> files on my *local* machine, not the *remote* ones -- and it was the
> remote ones that I was interested in.

Your machine was already running a GMC process.  The one on the remote
machine detected this using GOAD and instead of launching a new one,
it simply asked the existing one to pop up a file window.

This is indeed a misfeature when you try to run GMC on a remote
machine but you are alreaddy running a copy on your local box.

You should exit the file manager on your local machine before running
one on the remote machine.

  Federico