Re: Color coded gnome-terminals for users

>I thought I remember reading something about this as some sort of a
>script or something, but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw
>it...

What you want is a theme for your prompt. In http://themes.org/ you will
find links for that. BTW, the prompt tricks work with all terminals that
support colours, not only GNOME. You should search for info about colour
prompts in the man pages / doc directory too.

For example I redefine the prompt so each user has his own color set, white
for some info like date or full path, green as separators, cyan for other
info like user and machine, except root user that has "root" in red, way
better than all the console in red. I my home machines I put all this in the
/etc/ files, in others in my local rc files, and I can tell you that some
users like colors a lot. I can pass the config files if you want.

GSR