Startup Defaults / Desktop Alignment

Can someone tell me why my Gnome session starts up with:

1) 5 sessions of Netscape
2) Errors about not being able to connect to a Palm Pilot (nothing
configured)
3) Statements about Netscape not being able to open the netscape.lock file
even though I closed all Netscape sessions prior to logging out

Next Question:
I know someone answered this yesterday, but please bare with me.
I moved my panel to the top, but my icons keep aligning underneath it.
How can I tell Gnome to take the panel space into consideration?

Thanks,

Andy

Andy Meadows
andy@macbroker.com