Re: sgml-tools?

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 01:33:04AM +0100 or thereabouts, Mike wrote:

> I keep getting errors compiling certain gnoe packages in particular
> gnome-libs and evoltion come to mind to the effect of DTDdcl not supported
> Am I right in thinking that I should be using a more up to date version of
> sgml-tools and if so which one.
> I am using mandrake 7.0 with sgml-common-0.1-4mdk.

It's more likely that the DTD declaration for those docs is the
GNOME Docbook+png support one which doesn't come with the standard
docbook tools (although docbook 4.0 now supports pngs - yay!). I
know evolution uses that. I didn't know gnome-libs did.

If the top line of the file(s) with the extension .sgml contain
something about "-//GNOME//DTD DocBook PNG" then this is the problem.

You can either change that back to the standard DTD, which will break
all pictures included in the doc, or you can grab that DTD and
stylesheet and install them alongside your other ones.

They come as part of the gnome-doc-tools package that Dave Mason
of the GDP put together. As well as the GNOME-specific DTD and
stylesheet, it has a couple of handy scripts: one to produce one
very long page of HTML instead of lots of short ones, and another
to get eps files working properly.

You can find these, either as the package or as individual bits,
at http://people.redhat.com/dcm/software.html.

Most people don't come across this because when big releases of
packages come out, it's the package maintainer who generates the
docs, so that people don't have to go hunting for documentation
tools, let alone the add-ons we had to use whilst DocBook didn't
support pngs.

Telsa